Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grill-Meister

Finally-- spring is here! How many of you think that this is the best time of the year? I know that it is my favorite season. As the weather warms up and our thoughts turn to the beach and other outdoor activities, I can practically smell the hamburgers cooking. Oh, yeah, I guess a grill is essential at this time of the year!

I don’t currently have a grill and to be honest, being a recent college graduate, I don’t have much “to” grill either (lol). I am, however, in the market for one and, of course, want to get the best “bang for my buck”. So please, if you have a grill that you couldn’t live without, let me know.

I was thinking about starting small and working my way up. That way I can see if I’m any good before investing in some of the larger grills. I am a huge beach bum! I love surfing and wakeboarding, as well as other outdoor activities like biking, and hiking. Concerts and sporting events are other activities that I enjoy! I usually do these things with friends so I feel that I need something portable and compact, and I definitely don’t want to mess with any charcoals. PROPANE BABY….that’s what I need! So with that said, does anybody know of a great propane grill that is portable, compact, relatively inexpensive (Biggest Bang for Buck), that could grill up enough food for four?

I’ve seen some good recommendations at behindthebuy.com (http://www.behindthebuy.com/reports/?browseNode=738460), but I would love to get some feedback from you.

How many square inches of cooking surface should I require? What preferences do you “grill masters” require in your grills? What accoutrements should I expect if I hope to perfect my grilling abilities?

My Dad is an awesome griller in fact I could say he’s …. (Don’t get mad at me)….the Best! My grilling experience really comes from watching and enjoying, so one more important criterion for those of you who can help: please...nothing too complicated!! (I majored in Business not Thermo Nuclear Mechanics!)

Thanks,

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Oh yea,, “The Grill” is (absolutely) essential equipment,,, (especially) at this time of year,, and all year long here in Sunny South Florida. And,,, “the grill” is as essential for a man, as the little black dress is for a lady. (must have it,, and must use it with skill)!! But like anything else, to get good at it,, takes practice. Sure,, you’ll burn a few burgers and chickens in the process,, but keep at it and skill will come. That said,, I’d recommend getting a decent grill that will last and be with you for awhile so you can develop good (consistent) grilling skills. With gas, it’s all about the BTUs baby. The more the better. Select a grill with nice heavy grates (cooking surface). It’s not just about the fire in the box,,, but the heat held in the grates. That’s what gives you those perfect seared grill marks on the food. Look for good burners that will give uniform coverage. (bad flame coverage = hot & cold spots through the grates). And definitely all stainless steel if you are going with the gas on a full size grill. They cost a little more, but they don’t rust out, and will last much longer. It’s not necessary to go out and get the X-15 ULTRA Super Deluxe Model II !!,, but you do get what you pay for here. With a good grill, good ingredients, and a little imagination, you’ll be able to develop (and perfect) your skills, and will be impressing the ladies with your grilling prowess in no time. But it’s a relationship that only a man & his fire understands.

    PS,, Of course portables are great for the beach and tailgating. Of the models shown (in the $100 - $200 price range) at the link http://www.behindthebuy.com/reports/?browseNode=738460 , I like the Weber Q 200 Portable Propane Grill, Silver Series.
    It has almost 100 (more) sq inches of cooking surface, and more BTUs than the others. And,, it’s kind of cool looking too.

    But if you really want to hone your skills and entertain guests for a nice BBQ at your place, (and be the grilling king),,, you’ll need a full size 3 or 4 burner grill with at least 3,600 BTUs and at least 600 sq inches of main grilling surface with an upper rack, and provision for a rotisserie. You can add that later if you want.
    So fill up the cooler, and get grilling.

    ReplyDelete