Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Digital Cameras

How often do you use your digital camera? What prevents you from taking it with you when you are out and about? What features would you want in a camera if you were to purchase one today? These are the questions that you need to ask yourself when purchasing a new digital camera.

I know that when it comes to my circle of friends, a digital camera practically deserves a seat at the dinner table. We don’t go anywhere without one! I think in some sick way it brings out the celebrity in all of us. Knowing that the flash could go off at any moment keeps you on your toe. But sometimes the best pictures are the ones caught on the fly or in a split second when the uninteresting becomes iconic in a picture that will last a lifetime. In these little moments… time is of the essence. To me, the less delay time a camera has from the time you press the button until the shutter snaps and captures the image, the better. The camera I currently have takes great pictures. Unfortunately, it is more then a few years old and the delay time can span approximately three seconds. Newer cameras are quicker-- with most having a delay time of only one second. I know that, traditionally speaking, the cause for the delay in all digital cameras is because once you hit the shutter button there are a series of computer functions that must happen before the camera is actually ready to capture the photo. (http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/104310/photography/understanding_shutterdelay_in_digital_cameras.html) Although, there are settings I can turn off or on to limit the delay, I really don’t see too significant of a change. Unless, there is some trick out there that I am not aware of, it looks like a new digital camera is in the future for me.

Because I use my camera mostly when I go out to social events with friends, I tend to dress in more flattering apparel on these occasions. With today’s fashions it’s not so easy to conceal items in your pockets unless you’re fortunate enough to have a girl with you who will allow you to store all your stuff in her purse. (and trust me, I’m probably more likely to be caring her purse than she is to be toting around all my belongings!) With that said it would be nice to have a camera that is sleeker in design. So when it comes to design does practicality meet functionality? Let’s face it, if it looks nice and doesn’t cause an unsightly bulge in my overcoat, that is one thing, but if it takes horrible pictures it’s not really worth it, is it? I would be interested to hear from you--what camera do you have and what do you like about it? What kind of pictures do you take? What brands do you like and which cameras do you feel deliver the most satisfaction and dependability? If you were to help someone buy a camera today, what features would you recommend?

Smile and Say Cheese!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment