Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Plasma or LCD?

Which is better--LCD or Plasma televisions? This question could create a much-welcomed debate! When plasma first came out, I remember it being all the rage. It was the best thing since the old projection TV-- which as we all know, unless you were sitting right in front of it, you couldn’t see a darn thing, especially in rooms that had bright lighting. Plasma TV offers a sharp picture and a wide viewing angle of about 160 degrees. I’ve tried researching the technology for plasma and although there is plenty of material out there, I think it is a bit too complex for me to understand (and definitely too complicated for me to try and paraphrase here). What I do know is, as a result of all this complicated technology, we enjoy slimmer, sleeker television equipment and a larger clearer picture.

Now not only are we blessed with plasma, but we also have LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) which until recently (a direct competitor with plasma) was extremely pricey. Although different in its construction (LCD uses a matrix of thin film transistors which power liquid crystals), the end result is the same-- a stellar picture.

I personally have been interested in getting my hands on a 46” LCD flat panel television! Does anybody think that I am out of my mind or do you think I am right on the money? I have compared several Plasma’s to LCD’s and in my opinion I think the picture offered by the LCD is better. I do see that the picture is not as clear when you get to the extreme right or left but seriously, who sits in those remote areas when they watch TV?

OK, now for the Q & A Section: Now that the prices are comparable, which is the better buy? What are the advantages of each? Yes, plasma may be able to entertain a wider audience when viewing off of its axis but studies have shown that LCD can produce a brighter picture. Is this true? What about longevity? To me, there is a difference between a purchase, and an investment. A 46” television, no matter what the technology, is going to be a “Major Investment” for me and I want that investment to last!

Also, does one have an advantage over the other in regards to image burn or ghosting? I play a lot of X-box-- maybe too much! -- and I have heard that plasma is prone to image burn. Is this true?

As you can see I have a lot of questions. Maybe you can help in shining some light on this subject for me. All opinions are requested and welcome.

Thanks for visiting!

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike,

    Thanks for finally making this whole thing simple enough for me to understand!

    -David
    Oyster Bay, NY

    ReplyDelete